It’s semi-official, I able to represent the Philadelphia Big Bus Tour Company and carry a microphone for 90 minutes at a time without anyone taking away from me. I did my first practice run of a tour today.
What was said:
1. Will Smith is from Mantua
2. Over there/over here
3. Ben Franklin, on top of city hall
4. Geno and Pat’s is kind of schticky
5. They saw the Great London Fire and decided to build the city with all brick
6. Philadelphia universities are Drexel, LaSalle,Villanova. And they’re all down there. (pointing toward Mantua)
7. In Philly we say, “watua”
8. This area is where local protesters gather for various issues.
9. See that window there? That is Mayor Street’s office.
10. Here is the Olivet Covenant
What should have been said:
1. Will Smith is from Overbrook
2. To my right/to my left
3. William Penn, on top of city hall
5. Everyone likes different types of cheesesteaks
6. Billy Penn saw the Great London Fire and decided to build the city with all brick buildings.
7. In Philly, we say “wooder“
8. Don’t mention the word “protest”
9. See that window there? That is Mayor Nutter’s office.
10. To the left is Olivent Convent.
Overheard on my tour:
1. “She said that with a Boston accent.”
“2. Is that true?”
3. (to a guy) “Please sit down, you’re way to pretty to hurt yourself.”
True life events on the tour:
1. My contact fell out of my eye while I was standing, talking, and pointing.
2. I took a drink of water and missed my mouth, it went straight down my shirt…while I was standing, talking, and pointing.
3. A wedding party outside of LOVE park waved at us.
4. A group of people at Bishops Collar waved at us.
5. A team of rugby players waved at us.
6. Standing on the second level of the bus, I bought bottled water from a street vendor outside the city zoo. He threw it at me.
7. I gave a shout out to the Scots while discussing the flags down Ben Franklin Parkway, and their impact on the city.
I got so tongue-tied and nervous. Who knew there was:
1. so much to talk about.
2. so many people to remember
3. so many small details to expose
I’ll get it. I love this city. I’m not going to let her down.